Thursday, July 6, 2017

Floral Cold Shoulder | McCall's 7412

Hola amigos! Hope everyone is doing well in the best month of the year! :-D

I'm back to share a top I planned on making to wear to my 10 year High School reunion. I did finish it in time but the resulting outfit that I had put together wasn't enough "va va voom" for the situation, so I ended up changing my outfit completely. It's crazy to me that I've been out of high school for 10 years! Honestly, it feels like more LOL

Anyway, back to the top! The pattern I used is McCall's 7412. I did a combination of views A and C for the shorter tunic length and shorter sleeves. I cut my normal McCall's size, Medium.


I got this fabric when I was in Atlanta last year hanging out with LeJanaro. It's from one of the "going out of business" sales that Hancock's was having at the time. *moment of silence for Hancock Fabrics*

It's some kind of polyester but the fabric sewed up sooo nicely. It has some kind of texture to it that kept it from slipping around and shifting all over the place. It's light and drapey and feels amazing on my body. It also pressed really well when it came to the bindings. I thought about doing french seams, but I ended up serging all of the seams for time's sake.


The only modification I made to the pattern was a normal one for me. I added a center back seam and did a 1" swayback adjustment. The print is busy enough that you don't even notice the seam.


When I was putting this together, I was nervous that I wasn't going to like the neckline. I was thinking of ways I could lower it and adjust the binding to make it happen. At the end of the day I decided to just see how it would turn out as drafted and I actually like it. It's not too high and even with a large bust, the gathers don't seem to clash and look matronly as I find sometimes they can look on me.


I machine-sewed all of the bindings on because I did not feel like doing all of that hand-sewing. Plus I had a deadline. But I used my edgestitch foot and took my time and It came out really nice and even; even over the gathers.



This is my first time making this style of top and I really enjoyed wearing it! I wasn't sure how I was going to feel but I think the combination of print and style really made me feel sophisticated and feminine. I felt very classy in it. I might make a couple more of the cold-shoulder style but I won't go overboard lol I think having very different fabrics/prints will make it easy to have multiple but maybe only 2 or 3 more.


I know a LOT of people embraced this trend this year. Did you? How do you feel about it? Talk to me!

Be back soon!
xoxo, Tasha

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! :-D
I read each one and I do my best to respond to each of them personally :-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...